The Belknap County Conservation District (BCCD) was established on February 14, 1946 by NH RSA to serve as a non-regulartory implementer of on-the-ground conservation measures and a resource for the leveraging of federal, state, and local funding to assist land managers in maintaining the Belknap County’s land, water and related natural resource.
The District, in close coordination with the USDA National Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and private sector professions, undertakes projects and holds low-cost natural resource based training programs for professionals, schools, and interested citizens.
Belknap County invests in BCCD through support of its very small staff while funding for BCCD projects, programs, and informational outreach comes primarily from grants, donations, and BCCD fundraising activities such as our Tree Sale.
- Donna Hepp | Chairman – Belmont
- John M. Hodsdson | Supervisor – Meredith
- Ken Kettenring | Supervisor – New Hampton
- Earle Chase | Supervisor – Barnstead
- Dean Anson, Supervisor – Laconia
- Aaron Lichtenberg, Associate Supervisor – Alton
Natural Resource Conservation Service Technical Assistance
- Nel Liljedahl | NRCS District Conservationist – serving Belknap and Carroll Counties (Conway, 447-2771 ext. 102)
- Karen Dudley | NRCS Soil Scientist (Concord, 223-6026)
- Bill Hoey | NRCS Soil Conservationist (Concord, 223-6022)
The BCCD is pleased to offer you the following conservation-related resources at the local, state, regional, and national level.
BCCD 2018 Tree, Shrub, Flower, Trout and More Sale
2018 BCCD Tree Sale Important Information
2018 Plant Sale Order Form
2018 Bulb & Flower Sale Order Form
2018 Bulb & Flower Sale Color Pics & Descriptions
Plant Sale Description…. Double click to download!
BCCD Funding Overview
The Belknap County Conservation District (BCCD) receives a portion of its funding from the county. County funds are used to pay the salary and benefits of 1 full time staff member, the wages of a part-time position, the hiring of natural resource consultants on a per diem basis, and to have a financial review performed by a Certified Public Accountant.
Grant funds and other monies are secured through fundraising, service fees or donations to pay for project expenses and other operational costs. The county’s contribution is vital to the ability of BCCD to apply for grants that bring additional dollars to Belknap County.
The BCCD always welcomes volunteers. Here are some of the types of volunteers we are looking for:
Tree and Shrub Sale Volunteer
- Time Requirement: can be entirely up to the volunteer between April 9th and May 4th; however it is most helpful if you schedule ahead with BCCD staff. On May 2nd, 3rd, and 4th customers pick up their orders so it some volunteers are needed during specific hours.
- Duties: help pack bareroot plants into individual customer orders, help distribute packed orders on customer pick-up dates, assist with post sale clean-up.
- Other Notes: this activity can be messy and takes place in a garage so dress in weather appropriate ‘play clothes’! You may also want to bring a pair of gloves to keep your hands warm and dry. We have had people of all ages and physical condition assist us with this sale. In most cases we can find something for everyone to do! Those with bad backs may want to bring a lawn chair to sit in.
Community Garden Volunteer Time Requirement: Cleanup – one to two days in early May and one to two days in early November. Weeds Control – up to the volunteer Duties: help clean up Community Gardens area located on Parade Road, Laconia. Clean-up entails pulling spent garden plants, picking up debris, picking rocks. Weed Control entails cutting or pulling invasive species in the garden area and pulling unwanted plants from the hayfield. Other Notes: the parcel of land used for the Community Gardens is located on Parade Road between Old North Main Street and Anthony Drive in Laconia. The view is wonderful and the gardens are a nice place to sit back and take in a nice day.
Office/Clerical Time Requirement: dependent on task and BCCD staff availability Duties: can be extremely varied
Phone: (603) 527-5880
Mailing Address: 64 Court Street, Laconia, NH 03246
Lisa Morin, District Program Coordinator